Breaking Off The Field - Sports Card Breaks and Card Community

Well look who we have here. Welcome to Breaking Off The Field. If you are anything like me, you grew up devouring sports and anything tied to it. By the time I was in kindergarten, my dad had introduced me to the rules of baseball, football, and soccer and weekends were meant for sports both on and off the field. I soaked up everything like a sponge and simply could not get enough. Even after memorizing players' names, numbers, and stats from my favorite teams, I was left wanting more. That longing was fulfilled when my dad brought home a $2 pack of Topps Baseball sometime around '88 or '89. I was instantly hooked on collecting my teams and trying to complete sets. My dad was thrilled to see how happy I was, but his wallet surely wasn't in the years to come. 

Fast forward 30 years and here I am, a father of two, and still a huge DC sports fan and just recently started back into collecting when my dad dropped off half a dozen binders and bags of cards from my childhood. His mom threw away his when he moved out and he didn't want to create the same disappointment he felt at that time. Thumbing through my old collection sparked a desire to get into it again, but I wasn't quite ready to dump hundreds of dollars into buying cases of cards or individual "Hits" on eBay. After exploring the current card community trends, Hobby Card Box Breaking seemed like the most reasonable way to get back into it while bringing my son along for the ride (the daughter has unsurprisingly expressed much less interest). 

In the coming weeks, I will break down what a box break is, how I intend to break, what products I will be breaking for collectors, and when the first break will be. I will auction off spots for these breaks on eBay until I can find a better way to do it. This experiment will go on as long as my son and I enjoy it, so let's have a little fun.

SK

Comments

Popular Posts